Here are some questions about the lecture by Dr. Deveny and also the readings that are due today. These questions should help you write your reflection and are meant as a guide for the midterm exam. Make sure that you spell Arabic, Spanish and other names and words correctly. You should use the list of terms that Dr. Deveny distributed in class. Just keep in mind that all of this will be part of the midterm. Reflection is due On Thursday, Feb. 18, by midnight.
- Who ruled Spain prior to 711? What groups did live there?
- Why should we study about Cordoba?
- What does make Spain interesting for us?
- Who and when did the conquest of Spain begin? Name the 2 leaders and discuss their heritage?
- Why were the Muslim armies so successful in conquering Spain?
- What is the Arabic name for Andalusia and where did it come from? What does it mean?
- When, at which battle and by whom were the Muslim armies stopped?
- Name at least 3 Spanish cities that played an important role during the Muslim rule?
- Which architectural and historic monuments do you associate with these three cities?
- What are the characteristics of Arabic-Muslim architecture found in mosques and palaces in Spain?
- Who were the Mozarabs?
- How many and what kind of books were the library in Cordoba in the 9th and 10th centuries? Why is this an amazing fact?
- In what areas did the Arabic language influence the Spanish language and culture? Give concrete examples!
Due on Thursday, February 18 by midnight.